I have seen many soccer matches. I often see that players enter the field with children. Why do they enter with the children?
The children are mascots. Each club may employ a different policy about how to become a mascot, but generally includes some of the following criteria;
- Whether you are a season ticket holder/ member
- Between a certain age
- Whether it’s your birthday, etc.
Being a mascot gives you an experience which again depends on what team you’re a mascot for but could generally include:
- Getting a tour of the stadium
- Getting to meet the players
- Getting given (signed?) merchandise
- Getting to walk out with the players
- Getting to warm up with the players
From searching “How to become match day mascot” on Google, you can see some of the packages each each offers (taken from the first page of results);
- Aston Villa FC — Junior Membership & Match Mascots
- Portsmouth FC — Mascot Packages
- Tottenham Hotspur FC — Become A Mascot
- Cheltenham Town FC — Mascots